Monday, February 23, 2009

Damn You Food Network!!!

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching Judge Judy on TV and happily knitting. JJ was a rerun so I started flipping through the channels and stopped for a moment on the Food Channel. That was my first mistake.

You may think that watching the food channel is an innocent enough pastime but I'm warning you that it is a dangerous spiral that I may never recover from.

I watched a show on exotic ingredients in everyday cooking. The specific show was on water chestnuts. I have used water chestnuts for many years but always opened a can to get them. I now had a mission; to find fresh water chestnuts and to see how they were different from the canned variety.

Two weeks later and many stores later, I have my fresh water chestnuts. And it only took me another hour to find the recipe on-line that started the whole quest in the first place*.

All of this cooking and going to specialty stores is taking far too much time away from my knitting.

On a positive note, we had a wicked Roasted Garlic and Tomato Pasta last night and the Pesto Stuffed Chicken wrapped in Prosciutto was pretty good too.

Now if Judy Judy would quit showing reruns, I could get back to more important things.


*I'll be making "Endive Water Chestnut Salad" just as soon as I find the endive.

3 comments:

...AnnaRose... said...

I found Belgian endive at the Superstore. Now I have to find out what water chestnut is ;)

Anne

aunty tink said...

Water chestnuts are usually found in cans in the Oriental cooking section. That explains why I found them at T&T market along with ginger and garlic at insanely cheap prices and fresh dried kumquats.
They also have the best baskets for shopping. They can be carried like a regular basket, but they also have wheels. They are the perfect basket because after you pick up more stuff than you plan to, you just put the basket down and wheel them around. They're fantastic.

Perhaps I need to get out of the house more if I'm getting excited about shopping baskets.

Kari said...

Feel free to pack a few of your new recipes in your suitcase for your trip down south!!