Thursday, January 29, 2009

File under "I should Have Known Better"

I have a knitting journal with pages for a needle inventory, pages of size charts for friends and family, and many, many, pages for notes on projects. I actually have more than one knitting journal with similar pages in them. They are all pristine. I have never written on a single page. I should have been writing in these books, especially on some projects.



I started these socks several years ago. The printing date on the book is 2001 so I'm guessing that I started them in 2002. I didn't knit exactly according to the pattern which is why I should have been writing deviations down...somewhere...even on the pattern.

When these socks when into the resting drawer, I had pulled out the needles to use on a different pair of socks, and placed the stitches on a thread. I think I have the right size back on the stitches. I'm hoping I have the right size. They look the same. For some strange reason, I believe I used a 2.5 mm needle originally instead of the 2.75 that the pattern called for.

I also changed the heel from the original. Did I write down the changes? Of course not. Did I even look at the heel on the first sock before I had completed the second heel? Why would I do that?

After ripping out the heel, I did stop to look at the first sock (which is just past the heel to realise that I hadn't followed the pattern for the sole of the foot either.

It is much easier to follow a sock pattern than it is to knit a sock from a half finished one.

Am I using the knitting Journal now? Not yet but I will just as soon as I start my next project.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

liar, liar, pants on fire.

;)

bummer that i was wrong about the 2.5 sna's huh? i'm so sad.