Monday, March 19, 2007

A Mid-month progress report

These are Doug's Socks that were going to go in his Christmas stocking. They are finally finished and on their way to a new home. They are going to be sold in a silent auction at a friend's church. I will be very annoyed if they don't sell for a good price. Too many times, wonderful hand crafted items are sold for prices that don't even cover the cost of materials.
Last year I donated some knitting to a bazaar and it was priced to only cover the cost of the yarn. There was nothing extra added on for the time spent knitting them. A plate of cookies was priced at $2.50 for a dozen. There is no way that the ingredients in the cookies cost $2.50 . I decided that I would no longer be supporting that charity by knitting but would be buying more cookies.
As long as the Ladies who are pricing crafts for charities continue to ignore the time spent in creating a garment, the public will continue to believe that mittens are worth a dollar and a pie is worth $!2.00.




Blankets for the New Baby (Why do we say that? Has anyone ever had an Old Baby?)



These are technically a new project for the month of March but since I made a dozen receiving blankets and one fitted sheet for the bassinet in only four hours, I'm not counting them. It's my rule. I can bend it anyway I want to!




Leaf Lace socks are also done. These were Sock of the Month project from Make 1 YarnStudio The pattern is from Fiber Trends and the yarn is Sweet Georgia. These one were residing in the basket since October, because I thought I had a mistake in them. The mistake was in not finishing them earlier.
The advantage to working on old projects is that you end up with many more finished projects instead of a full WIP basket.

2 comments:

carmelclose said...

Nice socks (as usual). And I totally agree about the pricing of hand knit items. I too have quit donating to a certain Ladies Auxiliary when they were requesting a certain color of yarn and only pricing stuff at BELOW the cost.....

carmelclose said...

The website with the pins is www.imagesofcanada.com