Thursday, January 07, 2010

Whistler has been ripped out. Back to the beginning. Back to square one.

No, I didn't twist my stitches as I joined them to knit in the round. That would have been an understandable mistake.

I miscounted when I first cast on. I didn't find my error until I was at the first row of colourwork. I was so busy checking to make sure that my stitches weren't twisted that I didn't notice that I had too many stitches.

Now I realise that you are all thinking that I am too much of a perfectionist and that I could have just knit two together to get rid of a couple of stitches and moved on.

I thought of that. But, I could not get rid of 50....yes I said Fifty extra stitches. I had placed markers as I cast on in groups of 50 and somehow forgot how to count to five. I had cast on one extra group.

I thought about making a larger size sweater but in the end, I knew I had to start again.

I am happy that I realised my mistake when I got to the first row of colourwork. I wonder how far I would have knit if the numbers on that first row had worked out.

And with fewer stitches on the needle, my tension has relaxed and the whole sweater should be much quicker to knit.

The scariest part about ripping this back was that one of my first thoughts was "Now I have something to blog about."
I'll be back when I have pictures that are more than rows and rows of Black stockinette.

1 comment:

Shell said...

Oh my, I feel that way with projects and the blog sometimes too.