Thursday, January 21, 2010

I've heard this all before

At Tuesday's Knit night, the conversation once again came around to knitting on Airplanes. Since I am planning a trip soon, I was interested and had already thought of ways to sneak my bamboo dpns on board with me. I knew they wouldn't set off any alarms as I went through the metal scanner but I had not thought of the random pat-downs. Five hours on a plane with no knitting seemed to be in my future.

January 20, the regulations were adjusted.* I can take my knitting!!! My latest sock project falls under the category of "knitting needles (when wool is present)"

Does this mean that if I attempt to bring Phentex on the plane with me that I will be hauled off never to be seen again?

Does this mean that knitting needles by themselves are dangerous and it is the wool that calms them? Sound like a good reason to add the stash on a particularly stressful day. I can justify purchases by saying that Transport Canada made me buy this yarn.

I was surprised to read that knitting is not considered part of your carry-on luggage and is to be carried separately rather than packed in a larger bag. Knitting needles might look like weapons in x-ray scans. Perhaps too many knitters were getting cranky when the security people carelessly pulled their knitting off the needles in attempt to see what those 14" metal single points actually were.

I will be taking knitting on my next flight. I won't be knitting "Whistler".


*for a full list, check Calgaryairport I am now allowed to take my Tuba too...as long as it's in its case, but my knitting bag is too big to be considered a purse.

7 comments:

Kourtney said...

Tuba, eh? Never leave home without it!

Domie's Mom said...

Thank goodness....I hate the airport and air travel but if they encourage stash growth, well, I guess that constitutes a plane ride or two:)

Bellflower said...

Tuba? Wicked.

Arsie said...

When I last flew I didn't have any issues with my bamboo DPNs (beyond freaking out the guy next to me on the way home, he leaned away while I was knitting..)

This was October 2008 though, so who knows. I'm hoping I can take them with me when I go this summer!

aunty tink said...

I heard that knitting needles were banned after the underwear bomber tried to blow up his package on Christmas day.

indiknits said...

I had no problems flying to the US after Christmas. Of course, I couldn't have a carry on, so I stuffed my knitting in my very small purse. Still, no one even blinked. You should be fine! :-)

Shell said...

They never consider the safety of the other passengers if we AREN'T allowed to knit.