Monday, October 19, 2009

Nefertiti is done...almost

Early Saturday morning, I finished knitting Nefertiti. Normally, I would have blocked it and then taken a artistic shot with it draped around a manikin or at least over the railing on the deck.

Instead, it is being sent to the bad knitting basket.

When I started this wrap, I thought that I had the perfect yarn. I loved the color and while it was hand dyed, I thought that the variegation in it would not detract from the overall design.

I started knitting and all was well until I got to the widest part of the wrap. Then the colors started to pool. Lucy urged me to rip it out but I though that it would be work out.


I hoped that somehow, magically, bad knitting would turn into good knitting. It didn't. I continued knitting. The pooling continued.

I don't mind pooling. I usually like to see how the spots of color line up with each other and make big spots of color. Unfortunately, the color that was most prevalent was...you guessed it...purple.

The plan is to now dye the wrap. Spinknit said that I should kettle dye it teal, and since she is the dying goddess that dyed the yarn in the first place, I would be smart to listen to her advice.

I'm going to postpone the decision for awhile.

I have started a new shawl. Dracula's Bride is a shawl that I originally stared a few years ago when it was published as a Mystery Shawl. I ripped it out when I realised that I didn't like the beads that I had chosen or the fact that I hadn't mirrored it. I also was disappointed that it didn't have any bats on it since it was called a Halloween mystery shawl.


If you don't see me for the next two weeks. it's because I'm home, knitting. If you do see me, it's because I've realised that once again, this was a really silly idea.

No comments: