Saturday, April 25, 2009

"de gustibus non est disputandum"

I started this blog back in 2006. I really didn't think that anyone would ever read it and until I found Ravelry and linked it to my friends list, very few people did read it. No one ever asked me about the description under the title until this week.

I always assumed that the reason I was never asked about it was either that everyone was a Latin scholar and already knew what it meant, or people really didn't understand a lot of what I was blathering about and that was normal.

The rough translation? In matters of taste, there is no disputing. There isn't a better sentence to describe the variety of knitting techniques, patterns, choices of yarn etc.

I have spent the last hour of valuable knitting time looking for a new quote. Before you ask, No I have not ever studied Latin.

quidquid latine dictum sil altum viditur
- what ever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I contemplated this one. Malum consilium quod mutari non potest. It's a bad plan that can't be changed. It could apply to either a knitting pattern or the whole project. It might fit for some people but not for someone who doesn't change patterns.

Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae There is no one great ability without a mixture of madness. No explanation needed for this quote.

Bonitas non est pessimis esse meliorem It is not goodness to be better than the worst. Too vague.

Damnant quod non intellegunt. They condemn what they do not understand. Do you think Cicero was referring to toe-up socks when he uttered this phrase? or was he referring to all non-knitters?

Stecius accident. Shit happens sounds like the perfect phrase for the project that needs to be ripped out or for the socks that need to be tossed because they have developed holes but not quite right for most days.

For now, I will stick with the original description. It seems to still fit the best, especially since I know that out there, in the big world, someone is crocheting toe up socks with purple acrylic yarn.

Omnia mutatur, noset mutamur in illis. All things change and we change with them.

3 comments:

Trish said...

Carpe Noctem. xoxo T

Annie said...

ok, here's my suggestions:

1. change really sucks.

2. i like ribbons.

3. she'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes.

feel free to use any of those.

ps: that was a really, really excellent post.

aunty tink said...

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to translate "she'll be coming 'round the mountain" into Latin so I sound profound.