Thursday, September 11, 2008

Two years later and still learning

It was two years ago today that I started working at Make 1 Yarn Studio, and in the time spent there, I have learnt many things.

I used to knit all my sweaters from the bottom up. I have learnt that they can be knit from the top down.

I used to knit all my socks from the top down. I have learnt that they can be knit from the toe up.

I used to believe that pairs of things like socks, should match. I would pull the yarn out of two balls in order to make sure that both socks matched exactly. I now know that socks don't have to match. They can even be knit from two different balls of yarn.

That is the reasoning that I am going to use to explain why I went out shopping today like this.


Some people might suggest a different reason for me forgetting how to dress myself but I believe that artist creativity is the best reason and I'm sticking with it. At least I'm still wearing my underwear under my clothes. (ask Knitting Grammy about that one!)

I have learned that some questions that arise out of discussions on Tuesday evenings are better answered by Wikipedia than by family members.

I have learned that top down socks is the best way to knit socks.

I have learned that if I don't want to swatch, I must be prepared to rip.

I have learnt that not all acrylic is bad.

The most valuable thing I have learned is that the new friends that I have made during the last two years are some of the most fun loving, crazy (in a good way) big hearted, generous people that I know.

It has been a great two years.

2 comments:

indiknits said...

Aw, I'm such a sh*t for not remembering. 2 years! Wow. Thank you, Marilynn. I love working with you!

Anonymous said...

i have a picture i'll post on my blog, and then you'll realize that we are in fact sisters of some sort.

you are so amazing; i love knowing you and getting to spend the tuesdays together... and singing, and celebrating, and sharing and learning. all that, and more.

a
xoxo