Saturday, July 04, 2009

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Tonight it rained again.

My Rainbow socks are finished.


They are the first socks from the Wizard of Oz Sock club.
They took longer to knit than I thought they would. Originally, I started with 2.5 needles. They were the perfect project to take to a guild meeting. I had the pattern memorized and I was past the heel so I could knit without worrying about making a mistake. I was confident that I wouldn't need to rip out the sock the morning after the meeting.
What I hadn't considered in all my careful plans was that everyone I was sitting with was going to tell me that the socks were knit too loosely and that I should rip them out. I had the whole leg done. I was past the heel. There was no reasoning with my fellow knitters. Good Grief, before I knew it, Lucy had pulled out the needles and I was ripping the whole sock back...back to the beginning.

I started again with 2mm needles.

I'm not feeling the love for these socks. I agree that they had to be knit at a smaller gauge, but I liked the pattern of the yarn more when it was knit on the 2.5 needles. They will wear longer than a minute and a half but the colours are all mixed up. The short row heel keeps the pattern of the yarn more consistent but I like the way a round heel fits. The toe is just plain weird but it fits with the rest of the sock.

If there's a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow, I haven't found it yet.

1 comment:

Annie said...

i think you should rip them out and knit them again on some beautiful magenta ska's.

ahem...