Thursday, March 27, 2008

FIGHTING BACK

People in my family are Hockey fans. And they talk about hockey constantly. If they are not going to a game at the Saddledome, they are watching the game on TV. The next day, they will discuss the various goals and bad calls from the refs to death. Play off hopes and rivalries with the team from up North are all topics of conversation.
I have expressed my disinterest with the sport numerous times but with no success. I might have finally come up with a solution. When individuals start talking about hockey, I counter with a discussion about knitting.

D - "Did You see the goal by Phanneuf?"
M - "Isn't this a great shawl? It's a silk yarn and the first project from the Make 1 Year of Lace."
D - "It was a really great goal and Calgary is fighting for a Playoff position."
M - "Look at the pretty colour. I can't wait to start adding the beads."
Various individuals have suggested that I might run out of things to talk about since there is only so much you can say about knitting. They don't know that I've been reading "A History of HandKnitting" The battle has just begun. I even invited D to come with me to Canmore this weekend for my Knitting retreat. He thought about it for at least 30 seconds before he declined the invite

2 comments:

Annie said...

you are wayyyyyy more devious than i ever imagined! lmao.

Lucy said...

You know, I might be the only person arould who could follow and contribute to both the knitting and the hockey conversations!