Thursday, January 05, 2012

The Perfect Christmas Gift

In March, I received the kit for this small shawl. DD2 immediately grabbed it and requested that I make it for her.

Now when I say requested, I really mean that the nagging was about to start. All summer long and into the fall I heard about how pretty the shawl was. Did I know that blue was her favorite color? Did I know that "Little Women" is one of her favorite books? Once November arrived, this shawl was at the top of the list.

I knew I would be knitting it for Christmas but I had to have a plan. I could knit it while DD2 was at school but she's very suspicious. I wanted to keep the surprise from being spoiled.

I also knew that there were other people in Calgary who had received the same kit. I had my plan. I borrowed the yarn from my friend and then left it in a very prominent spot in the family room. I had the shawl done and wrapped and still she had no clue.

I started "Babette" and was greeted with a morose "What's that?" Obviously not knitting her her shawl, I answered " A new project."

I knew the deception was working when I was told that since I wouldn't have time to knit it before Christmas, I could just wrap up the pattern and yarn.


The look of pure surprise on Christmas morning told me that the planning was worth it. I should have had my camera ready when she was opening her gifts. I haven't seen a look of happiness like that since she was a little girl.






Her smile put her on the Knitworthy List.





3 comments:

Kourtney said...

Nicely done!

annie said...

this is your best blog post of all time. what fantastic pictures!

nice job mamma.

kobe said...

i like these bright colours, they have many applications