Sunday, December 04, 2011


Never say "Never"


Once upon a time, in a land close to home, my friend Alana crocheted a blanket called "Babette". She gave it away.

Then she decided to make another one. The second Babette was crocheted from all the small balls of sock yarn left over from numerous pairs of socks. It was beautiful. Alana decided to enter it into the Stampede where the judges saw the beauty in it and awarded it a ribbon. And a medal. They decreed that it was the best crocheted item in whole competition.

Others decided that the Babette was a good way to use up numerous small balls of sock yarn. Annie started a Babette. Rose and Michelle also thought this was a good idea. I wasn't so sure. I crocheted one square and ripped it apart. I then gave away many, many small balls of sock yarn.

Correna decided to crochete a Babette out of Wollmeise sock yarn. I thought to myself that the project might be a good one after all. I crocheted another square. I gave the square to Annie for her Babette and my balls of Wollmeise to Correna.

I swore up and down and sideways that I was not going to make a Babette. The mere idea of sewing together 120 little squares would drive me to drink and I was not that crazy. Besides, I had given away all my small balls of sock yarn. I couldn't possibly make a Babette.

But, when you knit many pairs of socks, you soon get more little balls of sock yarn. I now had a small ball of red left over from MrB's Grey Cup socks. I had white left over from my kneehigh socks. I would soon have a green ball left over from the second pair of Brainless.

I thought I would try one more square.



Yesterday I asked Correna if she would mind giving back the WM that I had given her three weeks ago.

Also, keeping with the theme of "Never Say Never" DD#1 picked out this yarn. It looked pink in the skein.

2 comments:

JT said...

Great way to use up yarn that is for sure. But I am not sure I could sew them together. No time or no patience - probably the latter.

kobe said...

who can do that? i think it is difficuit