Monday, December 08, 2008

Insomnia

The other night I was lying awake, trying to fall back to sleep, but couldn't. Strange thoughts kept running through my mind.

What was I concerned about that was preventing me from sleeping? Was it the political scheming that was happening in Ottawa? No, not that.

Was it the fear of a economic downturn and the falling stock market? No, not that either.

Perhaps the quickly approaching holiday and the knowledge that many things have to happen before December 25. Close, but not that either.

It was the yarn. It had been sitting quietly in the Stash for the last year but decided that it was time to be heard.

"We are here and we demand to be knit! You have the pattern. You picked all the colours of yarn. You even started this sweater once and ripped it out because you didn't like the way it looked. Enough waiting. We want to become that sweater. NOW!"

I tried to reason with the yarn. I explained patiently that since Christmas was coming, I needed to be knitting socks for people.

The yarn didn't care.

I tried again. I vowed that I would start the sweater as soon as I finished my Berry-beautiful shawl. No, that just wasn't good enough. No compromise would work. The next morning, I cast on 286 stitches.




Saga Rose Cardigan from Jamieson's Shetland Knitting Book 3.

I have also been knitting the Berry-Beautiful shawl. Don't tell the sweater!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT is beautiful. no wonder it was yelling at you.

Shell said...

I wonder if my insomnia would be cured by more knitting.... or even worse, how many things might be chanting my name in the night?