Tuesday, March 16, 2010

2010 has been a Baaaddd knitting year. I knit. I rip. I knit more and I rip more.

I spent a day knitting the Snow Queen, a beautiful circular Estonian shawl. I spent 5 hours perfecting a circular cast-on and nupps.
The next day, I decided that if I continued, it would be smaller than I wanted. It's gone.

I started the Fern shawl. A lovely triangular shawl with more nupps. Another five hours gone.

And it's not just lace shawls that are driving me to start scrapbooking.

I started a pair of socks from the cuff edge and totally ignored that they had been designed toe-up. That was my first mistake. I ripped them out and started them again from the toe up. The toe was done and I had finished one pattern repeat. My knitting friends convinced me that if I continued to knit on the needles I was using, that they would never fit. I ripped again.

I pulled the needles out of another pair of socks that were just plain ugly. The time I had spent knitting them was less than the time I would need to spend to finish them. I refused to listen to the taunting any longer. The yarn has been designated to be a different project.

I thought that I would start a simple wrap. It would be my travel project. I would be able to knit and still carry on a conversation. What I didn't realize was that I had forgotten how to read. If the pattern says to cast on 189 stitches, I didn't need to cast on 289. Another one gone.

Evenstar is temporarily out of the bad knitting basket. After the fourth time I cast on, I was finally happy with the needle size. Clue 1 was completed without problems. Clue 2 has been ripped back a couple of times but it is done and I am working on Clue 3. The second half of Clue 3 has some strange symbols on the chart.

Tomorrow will be a better day to face the challenge.


Today I will be casting on a new project. I will attempt to defeat the Baaaddd Knitting karma by casting on a very simple baby sweater...top down...on big needles. My friend Alana assures me that it can be knit in a day.

I hope she's right.

3 comments:

...AnnaRose... said...

I would suggest that you stay with knitting. When the woodworm started knitting I told about the advantages of knitting comparing to woodworking: You almost always can undo it and start all over again. Once you have cut the wood it's gone. Same with scrapbooking paper and photos... The knitting karma will come back!

Anne

Kourtney said...

Nooooooooooooo! Not scrapbooking!

Shell said...

I suggest lots of alcohol, it may not improve the knitting but by then you may not care anymore.